Director of Communications
Posted on 11/05/2017 by Rachelle Money
Scottish Renewables has launched its manifesto ahead of the UK General Election next month.
The membership organisation, which represents 270 individuals and businesses working in the renewable energy sector in Scotland, has detailed how it believes the next UK Government can deliver affordable energy and clean growth.
Launching the publication today (Thurs 11) Chief Executive, Niall Stuart, said: “The growth of renewables has been one of the defining shifts in our energy system over the last decade, with renewables in Scotland now generating a significant share of the UK’s electricity needs.
“Advances in technology and rapid cost reductions mean that our industry can generate further economic and environmental benefit to Scotland and the UK - providing affordable energy for households and business, and driving clean growth across the country.
“However, we will only realise those benefits with the right policy framework to unlock the investment, research and innovation required to deliver a secure, modern and low-carbon energy system.”
Mr Stuart added: “We look forward to working with the next Government to deliver our shared ambitions for Scotland and the UK.”
Scottish Renewables 2017 General Election Manifesto: Delivering Affordable Energy and Clean Growth sets out the following recommendations;
1. Maintain commitment to climate change targets
2. Unlock investment in lowest-cost forms of energy
3. Continue the growth of less-established technologies
4. Accelerate the decarbonisation of heat and transport within an integrated energy system
5. Enable local communities to benefit from clean growth
6. Support research and innovation to deliver a smarter energy system
7. Back our world-leading low-carbon energy sector