What is Offshore Wind energy?
Offshore wind energy refers to the construction of turbines in the marine environment, which capture the power of the wind to generate electricity.
Why is Offshore Wind energy important?
Scotland is home to around 25% of the whole European offshore wind resource.
Capturing this resource will help us tackle climate change and increase energy security.The offshore wind industry also presents a huge opportunity to deliver economic growth. Offshore wind projects in Scotland have already led to over £164 million investment in the Scottish economy. With the right support, offshore wind development could be worth billions of pounds and create thousands of jobs.
What is SR doing?
Scottish Renewables works closely with the UK and Scottish Government to promote the best policy and regulatory landscape that will secure a thriving offshore wind sector in Scotland.
We also work with environmental organisations and existing marine users, such as fishermen, to ensure the development of offshore wind is both environmentally and socially sustainable.Scottish Renewables’ work in this area is guided by our members through participation in our work groups. If you would like more information in relation to Scottish Renewables offshore wind work, please contact Lindsay Leask.
SR recent achievements in the Offshore Wind sector
Meet The Team
Hannah Smith is our Policy Officer for Offshore Renewables.
- Scottish Renewables Offshore Renewables Community Benefit Position Paper
- Scottish Renewables Briefing: Draft CfD Budget
- Scottish Renewables/RenewableUK Consultation Response: Marine Strategy Framework Directive UK Marine Monitoring Programmes
- Scottish Renewables and Renewable UK joint consultation response: Allocation of contracts for difference
- Scottish Renewables’ response to Scottish Government consultation on draft National Planning Framework 3 and Scottish Planning Policy
- Prestigious renewables award ceremony revamped with new categories
- Beatrice Offshore Windfarm Investment Announcement
- "Best-ever" year for Scottish renewables
- Scottish Renewables' response to SSE announcement on offshore wind
- Scottish Renewables' response to Siemens manufacturing announcement
- Young Professionals in Renewables Networking Reception
- The Scottish Green Energy Awards Networking Reception
- SR Offshore Wind & Supply Chain Conference, Exhibition & Dinner 2015
- The Scottish Green Energy Awards 2014
Senior Policy Manager:
Tel: 0141 353 4987