What is Offshore Wind energy?
Offshore wind energy refers to the construction of turbines in the marine environment, which capture the power of the wind to generate electricity.
Why is Offshore Wind energy important?
Scotland is home to around 25% of the whole European offshore wind resource.
Capturing this resource will help us tackle climate change and increase energy security.The offshore wind industry also presents a huge opportunity to deliver economic growth. Offshore wind projects in Scotland have already led to over £164 million investment in the Scottish economy. With the right support, offshore wind development could be worth billions of pounds and create thousands of jobs.
What is SR doing?
Scottish Renewables works closely with the UK and Scottish Government to promote the best policy and regulatory landscape that will secure a thriving offshore wind sector in Scotland.
We also work with environmental organisations and existing marine users, such as fishermen, to ensure the development of offshore wind is both environmentally and socially sustainable.Scottish Renewables’ work in this area is guided by our members through participation in our work groups. If you would like more information in relation to Scottish Renewables offshore wind work, please contact Lindsay Leask.
SR recent achievements in the Offshore Wind sector
Meet The Team
E: [email protected]
- Scottish Renewables’ response to Scottish Government consultation on draft National Planning Framework 3 and Scottish Planning Policy
- RenewableUK and Scottish Renewables response to the Energy and Climate Change Committee survey on the effect of a 2030 decarbonisation target on the power sector
- Scottish Renewables response to the Scottish Government Consultation: Supporting Business – Promoting Growth.
- Scottish Government Register of Community Benefits from Renewables Letter
- Offshore Wind: Investing in Scotland
- Green Energy Awards celebrate Scotland’s world-leading renewables talent
- Renewables industry reacts to new financial support levels
- Reaction to Prime Minister's green charges comments during PMQ's
- Scotland’s renewables industry displaces record amount of CO2
- Scottish Renewables responds to IPCC Fifth Assessment Report
- SR Christmas Drinks Reception
- Offshore Wind & Supply Chain Conference, Exhibition & Dinner 2014
- Scottish Renewables Annual Conference, Exhibition & Dinner 2014
Senior Policy Manager:
Tel: 0141 353 4987