What is Marine Energy?
Marine energy includes both wave and tidal energy. Tidal stream energy devices capture the kinetic energy of currents created by the gravitational pull of the moon and sun on the world’s oceans. The predictability of the rising and setting of our sun and its effect on the tide makes it an important part of our renewable energy mix.
Wave energy devices harness the kinetic energy from waves created by winds blowing over the surface of our seas. There are a wide variety of technologies being developed in Scotland to capture this energy. For more information see the European Marine Energy Centre (EMEC)
Why is Marine Energy Important?
Marine energy holds huge potential to provide Scotland with a clean and secure source of electricity. Scotland has some of the biggest wave and tidal resources in the whole of Europe, and the Pentland Firth is recognised as the best site in the world for tidal energy.
Harnessing this energy will also create an industry which will deliver significant investment and jobs throughout Scotland, including in some of our most remote communities.
What is SR doing?
Scottish Renewables works with our members to promote the development of the wave and tidal energy sector in Scotland.
We also work with the Scottish and UK Governments, their enterprise agencies, and other relevant organisations to secure the regulatory and policy landscape that will enable marine energy to flourish in Scotland.
Much of our work is directed by Scottish Renewables’ marine energy work group. For more information on the group please contact Lindsay Leask.
SR recent achievements in the Marine sector
Meet The Team
E: [email protected]
Michael Rieley is our Policy Manager for Offshore Finance and Supply Chain. Michael also leads our work on terrestrial Planning (see separate page on Planning for more details).
E: [email protected]
- Marine Protected Areas network response
- Sectoral Marine Renewable Energy Plans & Sustainability Appraisal response
- Draft National Marine Plan Response
- Scottish Renewables Marine Milestones Report
- Marine The Basics
- Green Energy Awards celebrate Scotland’s world-leading renewables talent
- Renewables industry reacts to new financial support levels
- Reaction to Prime Minister's green charges comments during PMQ's
- Scotland’s renewables industry displaces record amount of CO2
- Scottish Renewables responds to IPCC Fifth Assessment Report
Senior Policy Manager:
Tel: 0141 353 4987