What is Marine Energy?
Marine energy includes both wave and tidal energy. Tidal stream energy devices capture the kinetic energy of currents created by the gravitational pull of the moon and sun on the world’s oceans. The predictability of the rising and setting of our sun and its effect on the tide makes it an important part of our renewable energy mix.
Wave energy devices harness the kinetic energy from waves created by winds blowing over the surface of our seas. There are a wide variety of technologies being developed in Scotland to capture this energy. For more information see the European Marine Energy Centre (EMEC)
Why is Marine Energy Important?
Marine energy holds huge potential to provide Scotland with a clean and secure source of electricity. Scotland has some of the biggest wave and tidal resources in the whole of Europe, and the Pentland Firth is recognised as the best site in the world for tidal energy.
Harnessing this energy will also create an industry which will deliver significant investment and jobs throughout Scotland, including in some of our most remote communities.
What is SR doing?
Scottish Renewables works with our members to promote the development of the wave and tidal energy sector in Scotland.
We also work with the Scottish and UK Governments, their enterprise agencies, and other relevant organisations to secure the regulatory and policy landscape that will enable marine energy to flourish in Scotland.
Much of our work is directed by Scottish Renewables’ marine energy work group. For more information on the group please contact Lindsay Leask.
SR recent achievements in the Marine sector
Meet The Team
Lindsay Leask is our Senior Policy Manager for Offshore Renewables. Her remit includes: Offshore wind, wave tidal strategy, marine consenting & licensing and offshore grid coordination.
Hannah Smith is our Policy Officer for Offshore Renewables.
- Fifth Carbon Budget – evidence to Committee on Climate Change
- Scottish Renewables/RenewableUK Consultation Response: Marine Strategy Framework Directive - Programmes of Measures
- Contract for Difference (CfD): Auction Results
- BVGA Wave and Tidal Supply Chain Development Plan
- Capitalising on Capabilities MEPB Report
- Renewables in the Dark as Government Delays Awards of Contracts
- New Chairman and Vice-Chairman for renewables body
- Scottish Renewables' reaction to Wave Energy Scotland funding announcement
- Scottish Renewables welcomes launch of Wave Energy Scotland
- More than 50 shortlisted for revamped green energy awards
Senior Policy Manager:
Tel: 0141 353 4987