What is Marine Energy?
Marine energy includes both wave and tidal energy. Tidal stream energy devices capture the kinetic energy of currents created by the gravitational pull of the moon and sun on the world’s oceans. The predictability of the rising and setting of our sun and its effect on the tide makes it an important part of our renewable energy mix.
Wave energy devices harness the kinetic energy from waves created by winds blowing over the surface of our seas. There are a wide variety of technologies being developed in Scotland to capture this energy. For more information see the European Marine Energy Centre (EMEC)
Why is Marine Energy Important?
Marine energy holds huge potential to provide Scotland with a clean and secure source of electricity. Scotland has some of the biggest wave and tidal resources in the whole of Europe, and the Pentland Firth is recognised as the best site in the world for tidal energy.
Harnessing this energy will also create an industry which will deliver significant investment and jobs throughout Scotland, including in some of our most remote communities.
What is SR doing?
Scottish Renewables works with our members to promote the development of the wave and tidal energy sector in Scotland.
We also work with the Scottish and UK Governments, their enterprise agencies, and other relevant organisations to secure the regulatory and policy landscape that will enable marine energy to flourish in Scotland.
Much of our work is directed by Scottish Renewables’ marine energy work group. For more information on the group please contact Lindsay Leask.
SR recent achievements in the Marine sector
Meet The Team
Lindsay Leask is our Senior Policy Manager for Offshore Renewables. Her remit includes: Offshore wind, wave tidal strategy, marine consenting & licensing and offshore grid coordination.
Hannah Smith is our Policy Officer for Offshore Renewables.
- Marine Milestones 2013-2014
- Letter on Draft National Marine Plan 'Renewables 7' - presumptions on cables
- Scottish Renewables: CfD the basics
- Scottish Renewables Briefing: Draft CfD Budget
- Scottish Renewables/RenewableUK Consultation Response: Marine Strategy Framework Directive UK Marine Monitoring Programmes
- More than 50 shortlisted for revamped green energy awards
- Wave and tidal energy worth £217m to Scots economy – so far
- Prestigious renewables award ceremony revamped with new categories
- Marine energy conference boosted by Global Excellence award
- Crown Estate announcement on wave and tidal projects
Senior Policy Manager:
Tel: 0141 353 4987