What is Hydro?
At its most simple, hydroelectric power can be described as the process of converting running water into electrical energy: water flows through a turbine which turns a generator, which produces electricity.
Although all hydro schemes share this basic set-up, there are variations:
Why is Hydro Important?
Jobs and Investment
What is SR doing?
Scottish Renewables works with our members to promote the development of the hydro sector in Scotland.
We also work with the Scottish and UK Governments, their enterprise agencies, and other relevant organisations such as Scottish Natural Heritage and SEPA to secure the optimal conditions to maximise development of responsibly sited hydro schemes.
SR recent achievements in the Hydro sector
Meet The Team
- Scottish Renewables' Response to SEPA Water Scarcity Consultation
- SR response to SNH Corporate Plan discussion paper
- Scottish Parliament draft Scottish Budget – written evidence
- Building Britain's Renewable Future
- Submission to the Smith Commission
- New Chairman and Vice-Chairman for renewables body
- Renewables cash boost hailed – but new stats show hydro schemes face funding black hole
- More than 50 shortlisted for revamped green energy awards
- Prestigious renewables award ceremony revamped with new categories
- Calls for new hydro generation
- Young Professionals Green Energy Awards Networking Reception
- SR:AM Shared Ownership – from Aspiration to Income
- Young Professionals Green Energy Awards 2015
- SR Hydro Conference & Mini Expo 2015
Senior Policy Manager:
Tel: 0141 353 4001