What is the Grid?
Across the UK, electricity is transported from where it is generated to people’s homes and businesses. This happens over two types of network – transmission and distribution.
Transmission is the large and long distance movement of electricity at high voltages. Transporting power at such high voltages is more efficient than at lower voltages, as it means less power is lost along the way.
The transmission system carries power from electricity generating stations (such as wind farms) to local distribution companies (such as ScottishPower Distribution), who then provide electricity to the vast majority of homes and businesses via lower voltage distribution networks.
Why is the Grid Important?
It is a critical means of ensuring electricity generated from renewable and other sources can be transported to where it is needed.
What is SR doing?
For Scotland's renewables industry to continue to grow, it is essential that several barriers are removed so that renewables can be integrated into the grid.
This represents a considerable challenge, and is of critical importance to our electricity-generating members. We are therefore currently working on:
We work closely with our members to ensure that their viewpoint is clearly represented, especially in our engagement with National Grid, Ofgem and the Department of Energy and Climate Change.
SR recent achievements in this sector
Meet The Team
Michael Rieley is our Senior Policy Manager for Grid & Markets
- Scottish Parliament draft Scottish Budget – written evidence
- Scottish Renewables Response to the DECC Strategy and Policy Statement
- Building Britain's Renewable Future
- Submission to the Smith Commission
- Ofgem Open Letter: CMP 223
- More than 50 shortlisted for revamped green energy awards
- Scottish Renewables' post-referendum paper proposes additional energy powers for Scotland
- Prestigious renewables award ceremony revamped with new categories
- Industry welcomes decisions on subsea cable and transmission charging
- Rumoured Conservative onshore wind pledge would raise bills and cost thousands of Scots jobs
- Young Professionals in Renewables Green Energy Awards 2015
- SR Members Christmas Reception
- Young Professionals in Renewables Networking Reception
- SR Annual Conference, Exhibition & Dinner 2015
Senior Policy Manager:
Grid & Markets
Tel: 0141 353 4003